How to prepare & cook Ugali
Ugali is a staple food in many African countries, especially Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. It is a simple dish made from maize flour and water, and it is usually served with vegetables, meat, or stew.
Here’s how to prepare & cook ugali:
- 2 cups of maize flour
- 4 cups of water
- Bring the water to a boil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Slowly add the maize flour to the boiling water while stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Make sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it thickens and comes away from the saucepan’s sides. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the mixture has thickened, reduce the heat and cover the saucepan with a lid. Let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Wet your cooking stick with cold water, and scoop out some of the mixtures. Form it into a ball, pressing it tightly to remove air pockets.
- Serve the ugali with your favorite vegetable or meat stew, and enjoy!
Note: Ugali can be pretty heavy, so it’s best to eat it in moderation. Also, if the mixture is too thick or too runny, you can adjust the consistency by adding more maize flour or water.