NTSA has introduced the smart driving license to replace the older version (red booklet). This small card contains a chip with all the driver’s information, such as name, blood group, gender and date of birth. Additionally, thanks to the introduction of the demerit point system, traffic police can easily fine rogue drivers.
To apply for the smart driving licence, you must be registered on the TIMs portal. Additionally, you need at least Kshs 3,100 in your M-Pesa account and have your phone with you since you will need it to access your account. If you have that sorted out, follow the following prompts.
Applying for NTSA Smart Driving License in Kenya – smart dl Kenya
- Log into your TIMs account. An OTP code will be sent to your phone, which you will use to access your account.
- Once in, click on ‘driving license’ and proceed to’ apply for smart driving license’ on the drop-down menu.
- Fill in the required information correctly and click next.
- Make the payment and click complete.
- You will be redirected to the invoice page, which you can download.
- Go back to the main menu and book an appointment with NTSA. Green means the date is available, while red means you should pick another date.
- NTSA will collect your biometrics and personal data.
- Once your Ntsa smart DL is ready, you will receive a text.
It takes about three weeks for the license to be ready. Do not hesitate to contact customer care in case of any hitches with the system.