How to cook managu
Managu is a popular dish in many African countries, particularly East Africa. If you’ve never cooked managu before, don’t worry – it’s a straightforward process.
Follow these steps on how to cook managu :
- Wash the managu: Rinse the managu leaves thoroughly in cold water to remove any dirt or debris. Use a strainer to drain the excess water.
- Chop the managu: Using a sharp knife, chop the managu into small pieces. You can remove the stems if you prefer, but they are also edible.
- Prepare the seasonings: Heat some oil over medium heat in a pan. Add some chopped onions and garlic and sauté until they become translucent. Then, add some diced tomatoes and let them cook until they start to break down. For extra heat, you can also add some sliced bell peppers or chilli peppers.
- Add the managu: Add the chopped managu to the pan once the tomatoes have cooked. Mix everything and let the managu cook until it becomes tender. You may need to add water if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Season to taste: Add salt and pepper to the managu and any other seasonings you prefer. Some people like adding a pinch of curry powder or cumin for extra flavor.
- Serve and enjoy: Once the managu is cooked to your liking, it’s ready to serve. Managu goes well with ugali, rice, or chapati. You can also pair it with grilled meat or fish for a complete meal.
With these simple steps, you can make a delicious and nutritious plate of managu that will satisfy your taste buds. Give it a try, and enjoy!