Since it was granted the charter to operate as a university in 2016 fully, Rongo University continues to bring together unique strengths of academic excellence through its degree programs that prepare students who will positively impact society with their work after graduating and entering career life.
Located in Migori County, 11 kilometers from Rongo town, with a talented faculty that teaches these bachelor’s degree courses, Rongo University is somewhere anyone can realize their full potential as one of the top public universities in Kenya.
Its world-class facilities, having everything the students and academic staff need for experiential learning, are the defining features of this institution that started as a technical school named Kitere in the 1970s. It has 6,345 students.
What courses are there at Rongo University?
Rongo University has a fantastic range of undergraduate courses involving studying full-time for four years before graduating. Here, an academic year means completing two semesters, usually running for 3 or 4 months, maybe from September to mid-December and January to March or May before long holidays.
List of degree courses at Rongo University
1. Bachelor of Arts in Economics
2. Bachelor of Arts in Geography
3. Bachelor of Arts in Kiswahili
4. Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics, Media and Communication
5. Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics
6. Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Diplomacy
7. Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Public Administration
8. Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, Criminology, and Community Development
9. Bachelor of Arts
10. Bachelor of Business Management
11. Bachelor of Commerce
12. Bachelor of Education Arts
13. Bachelor of Education Science
14. Bachelor of Education in Special Education
15. Bachelor of Hotel and Hospitality Management
16. Bachelor of Project Planning and Management
17. Bachelor of Science in Agribusiness Management
18. Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Economics and Resource Management
19. Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Extension and Education
20. Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
21. Bachelor of Science in Applied Statistics with Computing
22. Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
23. Bachelor of Science in Botany
24. Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
25. Bachelor of Science in Communication and Journalism
26. Bachelor of Science in Communication and Media Studies
27. Bachelor of Science in Communication and Public Relations
28. Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
29. Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science
30. Bachelor of Science Entrepreneurship
31. Bachelor of Science in Fashion Design and Textile Technology
32. Bachelor of Science in Graphic, Communication and Advertising
33. Bachelor of Science in Health Records and Information Management
34. Bachelor of Science in Horticulture
35. Bachelor of Science Informatics
36. Bachelor of Science Information Science
37. Bachelor of Science Mathematics
38. Bachelor of Science in Microbiology
39. Bachelor of Science in Physics
40. Bachelor of Science in Zoology
41. Bachelor of Science in Health Systems Management
42. Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Management
43. Bachelor of Science in Supply Chain Management
44. Bachelor of Tourism and Hospitality Management
45. Bachelor of Tourism Management
How to apply?
Thinking of applying to Rongo University? Admissions to their undergraduate degree and research programs are made through their online application portal for government-sponsored students of Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) or by physically downloading the undergraduate application form (download here) for those applying as privately sponsored students.
Download, fill in the required details, and mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must meet the entry requirements based on your KCSE performance to get admitted to pursue your desired course. The application fee is Ksh1,000 for degree programs.
Rongo University Fee Structure 2024
You are classified as either a government-sponsored or private student for the purpose of assessing tuition fees. Government-sponsored students (GSSP) get admission to universities through KUCCPS after meeting the standard Kenyan cutmark of C+ to qualify to make an application via this govt placement service.
In pursuit of higher education at universities, they usually pay less in fees compared to those in the Privately Sponsored Students Programme (PSSP), and Rongo University is no exception.
At Rongo University, the total payable fees depend on the courses. Degree programs in the Department of Arts and Business tend to be cheaper than the Bachelor of Sciences in schools like Agriculture and Science Technology and Engineering.
For instance, it costs roughly Ksh24,000 per semester to study courses like Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts in Kiswahili, but when you are a student pursuing some degrees such as Agricultural Extension and Education, Health Systems Management, or Information Science, you pay Ksh30,000 per sem.
Studying similar courses as a private student at Rongo University costs between Ksh150,000 and Ksh220,000 per academic year. This fee margin is also applicable to the first years in the new funding model.
Who is the Vice Chancellor of Rongo University?
Professor Samuel Gudu is the Vice-Chancellor (VC) and the head of Rongo University. He was previously the Deputy VC Administration, Finance, and Planning at Moi University before he was appointed VC Rongo in 2012.
Prof Gudu has an internationally recognized authority in the areas of agriculture and biology and holds a PhD in Plant Genetics and Molecular Biology from Canada’s University of Guelph.
He is a distinguished public servant in the Kenyan university and public sector at large and was among the members of the special task force established to investigate the effects of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) on the citizens’ health and environment.
Prof Gudu is a recipient of the Elder of Burning Spear (EBS), one of the prestigious presidential awards in the country.