All loan defaulters are usually listed on CRB, an institution tasked by the central bank to collect, store and share credit information. This automatically disqualifies you from receiving loans from other lending institutions.
Therefore it is essential to check your CRB status at least twice a year. Some bodies licensed to monitor loan defaulters include Metropol, TransUnion and CreditInfo. As such, you can check your status from any of them.
Below are steps for checking your status on all three platforms.
- Deposit Kshs 50 to pay bill number 220388.
- Enter your ID number as the account number.
- You will receive a message containing a unique code, a reference number, and a link will be sent to you.
- Dial *433# and enter your ID number.
- You will receive a text with your CRB report.
Please fill out a request form on their website. Should the report contain wrong information, please fill out a Credit Report Dispute Form.
- Send your full names to 21272
- Enter your ID number
- Select Credit Information
- You will receive an SMS with your credit status
If the report reads ‘good’, it means you are safe, while ‘default’ means you are barred from accessing any loans. You may need to get a clearance certificate if asked during a job application or by a lender. The charges for obtaining this certificate are Kshs 2,200.